That’s Why I Thought I’d Share These Tips on Overcoming Writer’s Block.
Since this is something that I’ve gone through, I’m sure there are others out there experiencing the same thing.
Sit down to write and nothing…can’t even think of where to start. Not one idea sounds good…
Sure, maybe you’re not a freelance writer or a writer of any sort, or at least that’s what YOU think. If you have any kind of online business whether it’s affiliate marketing, selling your own products, whatever you may be doing…you still have to write on your blog or website to get your message out there.
I never thought in a million years I’d be writing anything either. Boy, was I wrong!
So, here’s what I do to get unstuck and over that writer’s block…
What to Do to Get Unstuck and Get Going Again
- Find out what’s causing the problem
- Make a plan to solve your problem
- Write out each step you need to take to fix the problem
- Take action and DO each of the steps
- Ask for help
Of course, to fix a problem you’ll need to find out what’s causing it. Is it you?
I found the biggest, sneakiest culprit sabotaging my writing…and it was me.
Do you end up procrastinating for so long to write anything that by the time you get around to it you’re too exhausted to think? Or, maybe you keep thinking you can’t write good enough and erase everything as soon as you write it…
Or, maybe you’re stuck on something that you know you should do, but keep putting it off. Maybe it’s joining some social networks or commenting on other sites, adding a video or an image to your website. ..it doesn’t always have to be writing that we avoid doing.
More than likely that’s the problem…you’re holding yourself back. You’re giving in to the fears of what if…
Whether it’s writing or not, we keep avoiding it and putting off getting it done because we’re not sure of what we’re doing and keep giving ourselves the excuse
I’ll do that once I know more…
Once you’ve found out what the cause of your problem is then make a plan to change things. Write a list of steps you can take to fix it. Do at least one step a day. The important thing is to DO something about it…quit putting it off and get it done!
You’ll be happy once you do…it’ll be done with and you won’t have to worry about doing it anymore. A lot of things I’ve found out weren’t that hard to do after all whether it’s writing about something or anything else…the worst is getting started and once you do, it gets easier.
If you don’t know what to do for certain things like the technical stuff such as adding images, videos, etc. then find out. Do some research on it and ask someone. It’s more than likely you’ll get help or at least an answer that will point you a bit further towards getting your problem solved.
There are many forums and online communities out there that will have your answers. As long as you find an active one, that is. If you find one that hasn’t had anyone commenting on there for over a month or more, I’d keep looking elsewhere. Plus, there are times maybe the answer you’ll get might not be all that helpful, so use your judgment and take your time to find the right place to ask questions.
I know of a great online community that is active 24/7. I’m a member there and I’ve found it to be the most helpful and supportive place I’ve ever seen. They’ve helped me out so much with so MANY things.
Read more about it here… my #1 recommendation.
Quit Beating Your Head on The Wall!
No, don’t give up on it, but sometimes we all need a break. Otherwise, we’ll burn out and quit for good. Feeling too frustrated and overwhelmed isn’t going to get you anywhere…I’ve found that one out myself.
Here’s What I’ve Found to Help When I’ve Been Stuck
- Take a break- go get some coffee or whatever and relax for 10 or 20 minutes
- Go do something you really enjoy doing- read, watch a movie, paint, play a game, take a nap, etc.
- Take a walk or do some exercise – walking, biking, swimming, or whatever you like. Get outdoors for awhile.
- Visit friends and family – remember that’s probably one of the reasons you want to make money from home, right? To spend more time with the people that matter to you.
- Change of scenery- get offline once in awhile and use a regular old pen and paper (remember those?) to write down ideas. It’ll cut down all of the online distractions if that’s something you have a problem with…I know I do.
- Go to a local coffee shop
- Go to the library
- Get outside and write – find a comfy place to sit and write. This is my favorite, to sit outside on our deck on a beautiful sunny day. No one to bother me, no phone ringing, no distractions like the TV with its endless chatter.
- Listen to Music – Yes, you’re reading that right…listening to music helps me focus. I find it blocks all the other distractions from getting to me. Music has always been something I enjoy, even as I was growing up I found it easier to get things done when I listened to music. I don’t really hear anything going on around me, just music. I don’t hear the traffic driving by, dogs barking outside, neighbors cutting their lawns or whatever they’re doing.
- Listen to what you like – many suggest easy listening, but if that’s not your cup of tea then listen to what you enjoy. I don’t enjoy easy listening music, so it would be pointless to listen to something I don’t like. I prefer rock & metal, but you listen to whatever you want…even if it is easy listening. Give it a try and if it works, great! If not, then do what works for you. Listening to music, no matter what kind, may not be for everyone.
Okay, that’s about it for now!
I do hope this helps you get unstuck and beat that writer’s block or whatever kind of block you’re facing. Just don’t get so frustrated you give up on your dreams of working from home and doing what you love.
Because you know where that will lead don’t you?
If you quit now, you won’t succeed. You’ll be right back where you started…and I’m sure you don’t want that, right?
Neither do I. So, give yourself a chance and if something isn’t working find out why, and how to fix it so it WILL work.
Honestly, I was stuck before I started writing this post. I found every excuse I could to NOT write for the past week or so on any of my websites or anywhere else for that matter. I had no idea what to write, so I started thinking Hey, why not write about what I’m going through…and here it is. Done.
Let me know what you think. Do you have any suggestions to add? What works for you?
Please let me know in the comment box below! I’d love to hear from you…and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I’ll be delighted to help you out.